GTB - Supersonic (Demo) [HandsUp!] GTB - Supersonic (Demo) [HandsUp!]

Quite the intro.

The leads are pretty heavy there. Pretty crispy and at the forefront. I think they could be a little less crispy but I can dig it.

Kick is hardly discernible when placed against the bass-line. You need some more layering to give it more click and meat around the mid-high end. At most, I can just tell that it's causing the side-chain, but it needs a more present identity. It's even harder to hear when all the elements join together.

Bass-line is pretty coo', especially with that arpy arp. Smooth, too.

Second and main lead gets in the way of the first. I think playing with your stereo separation would help give your instrumentation the space to needs to both breath and have a place in the mix.

Speaking of which, it's not too bad. I think it just needs more leveling, a bit more tweaking, and a bit more... I dunno, chocolate. But it is a demo, so I'll forgive that (gotta make time for these things, especially with the busy lives we lead).

Build up around 0:40 sounds like it'd drop into something awesome. Y u leave me hangin' bro? :c

Overall, sounds pretty interesting and sweetness. Good jerb, I'd say, ol' bean.

Dj-Gonzo responds:

Thanks for your review! I tend to have problems with the kick in my demos, don't worry, I will fix that in the final release with a proper sidechaining and EQ. Glad to see you like some elements from the demo like the bassline and the build up (sorry, I can't let you taste the "cake" I am baking for this song at the moment :P).

Again, thanks for the review! I'll try (as always) to find some time to work on the demos, but I'm afraid that won't happen until summer.

>GTB

Crater Creator Crater Creator

Not bad.

It could use a little more melodic and harmonic cohesion, especially at the beginning. It just sounded all over the place and I was confused as to the direction it would take. What I mean by that is, synthetically, you should have sounds that match each other a little better. That would help with the basic theme that you're trying to construct here.

Though, as a result, you've achieved something is very, very experimental. So I'll throw everything out the window and base it upon that: an interesting choice of sounds.

- Drop could be a little bigger, but it's fine for what it is.
- I'm definitely diggin' that bassline at :32. It's deep and got a cool slide to it.
- The bells don't really fit in this section and you probably could've done without it.
- The main saw lead is alright. Could have a little more texture to it.
- 1:20, when all the bassy sounds come together... there needs to be more separation. A lot of this is in the mid-mid/low range. Some could be pitched a little higher.
- Build-ups need to be more exciting and appealing. Layering would definitely help you out here.
- The kit is lacking. It doesn't really push through beyond all the synthetic noises you've got going on. Some percussion can be heard, but I had to turn it up to discern the kick, snare, and the rimshot. It wasn't until the break happened at 1:01 that it was fairly present.
- There isn't much in the way of stereo separation. It's just all in the middle (well, not all of it, but most of it). Some elements could be panned to make room for others.
- For all of this though, the mix is fine. There's just better leveling that needs to be done.

Like I said... not bad. I can dig it.

Walpang responds:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I totally agree with the stuff your saying, I am making a new song right now that I think is a lot better and more organized. I use Reason, and I am learning new things every day. Anyway, thanks a bunch, you seem like you really know what you're doing! Love your songs, too! (By the way, I am trying to get scouted, so if you don't mind, I would really appreciate it.)

Freedom Freedom

Highly cinematic.

I'd say this is fairly well composed. It's definitely hitting all the musical tastes buds, in terms of timing, sample usage, melodic and harmonic accompaniment. It's mixed very well; not much I can nitpick on here. I think the only gripe I do have is the way it ended. That final chord could have been extended another bar and then end on a (much more) bombastic note.

Brass could be a little wider and have a much more extended range. While a lot of this is well balanced across the frequency range, I think you could do more beefing up in the mid-range. You've the highs and lows covered well, but there's just a bit of a hole in the middle (just for my tastes, anyway).

Nonetheless, this is great. A (nigh-realistic) job well done, fine sir.

NicholasCabraja responds:

Couldn't agree with you more. Your taste for the end, is something I could have done... Had you told before I uploaded haha. I like the creative taste.

For the mid range. Ya I was very careful not to cause to much build up and I can hear at times that I over did it a little. The cellos for sure. Problem I had was that the sample from CineStrings has this low tone that I had to get rid o. After that I did a bit of clean up with a LP filter which was most likely the issue.
The brass widening with be experimented with so thank you for that too.
Thanks man for the review. You were a great help!