GTB - Supersonic (Demo) [HandsUp!] GTB - Supersonic (Demo) [HandsUp!]

Quite the intro.

The leads are pretty heavy there. Pretty crispy and at the forefront. I think they could be a little less crispy but I can dig it.

Kick is hardly discernible when placed against the bass-line. You need some more layering to give it more click and meat around the mid-high end. At most, I can just tell that it's causing the side-chain, but it needs a more present identity. It's even harder to hear when all the elements join together.

Bass-line is pretty coo', especially with that arpy arp. Smooth, too.

Second and main lead gets in the way of the first. I think playing with your stereo separation would help give your instrumentation the space to needs to both breath and have a place in the mix.

Speaking of which, it's not too bad. I think it just needs more leveling, a bit more tweaking, and a bit more... I dunno, chocolate. But it is a demo, so I'll forgive that (gotta make time for these things, especially with the busy lives we lead).

Build up around 0:40 sounds like it'd drop into something awesome. Y u leave me hangin' bro? :c

Overall, sounds pretty interesting and sweetness. Good jerb, I'd say, ol' bean.

Dj-Gonzo responds:

Thanks for your review! I tend to have problems with the kick in my demos, don't worry, I will fix that in the final release with a proper sidechaining and EQ. Glad to see you like some elements from the demo like the bassline and the build up (sorry, I can't let you taste the "cake" I am baking for this song at the moment :P).

Again, thanks for the review! I'll try (as always) to find some time to work on the demos, but I'm afraid that won't happen until summer.

>GTB

Crater Creator Crater Creator

Not bad.

It could use a little more melodic and harmonic cohesion, especially at the beginning. It just sounded all over the place and I was confused as to the direction it would take. What I mean by that is, synthetically, you should have sounds that match each other a little better. That would help with the basic theme that you're trying to construct here.

Though, as a result, you've achieved something is very, very experimental. So I'll throw everything out the window and base it upon that: an interesting choice of sounds.

- Drop could be a little bigger, but it's fine for what it is.
- I'm definitely diggin' that bassline at :32. It's deep and got a cool slide to it.
- The bells don't really fit in this section and you probably could've done without it.
- The main saw lead is alright. Could have a little more texture to it.
- 1:20, when all the bassy sounds come together... there needs to be more separation. A lot of this is in the mid-mid/low range. Some could be pitched a little higher.
- Build-ups need to be more exciting and appealing. Layering would definitely help you out here.
- The kit is lacking. It doesn't really push through beyond all the synthetic noises you've got going on. Some percussion can be heard, but I had to turn it up to discern the kick, snare, and the rimshot. It wasn't until the break happened at 1:01 that it was fairly present.
- There isn't much in the way of stereo separation. It's just all in the middle (well, not all of it, but most of it). Some elements could be panned to make room for others.
- For all of this though, the mix is fine. There's just better leveling that needs to be done.

Like I said... not bad. I can dig it.

Walpang responds:

Thank you so much for your feedback! I totally agree with the stuff your saying, I am making a new song right now that I think is a lot better and more organized. I use Reason, and I am learning new things every day. Anyway, thanks a bunch, you seem like you really know what you're doing! Love your songs, too! (By the way, I am trying to get scouted, so if you don't mind, I would really appreciate it.)

Freedom Freedom

Highly cinematic.

I'd say this is fairly well composed. It's definitely hitting all the musical tastes buds, in terms of timing, sample usage, melodic and harmonic accompaniment. It's mixed very well; not much I can nitpick on here. I think the only gripe I do have is the way it ended. That final chord could have been extended another bar and then end on a (much more) bombastic note.

Brass could be a little wider and have a much more extended range. While a lot of this is well balanced across the frequency range, I think you could do more beefing up in the mid-range. You've the highs and lows covered well, but there's just a bit of a hole in the middle (just for my tastes, anyway).

Nonetheless, this is great. A (nigh-realistic) job well done, fine sir.

NicholasCabraja responds:

Couldn't agree with you more. Your taste for the end, is something I could have done... Had you told before I uploaded haha. I like the creative taste.

For the mid range. Ya I was very careful not to cause to much build up and I can hear at times that I over did it a little. The cellos for sure. Problem I had was that the sample from CineStrings has this low tone that I had to get rid o. After that I did a bit of clean up with a LP filter which was most likely the issue.
The brass widening with be experimented with so thank you for that too.
Thanks man for the review. You were a great help!

Thoughts Thoughts

R4R

I like the notation. It's pretty happy and sincere. Mega does have a point in saying that you should humanize the notes a little more, just for the sake of that added realism.

I think you should keep this for later and fill it in as you go. I hear the potential of what this can be and I think you can run with it. Purty gud, I'd say :)

P.S. - Skill comes with time. Keep working at it and you'll see yourself flying through songs and laying down ideas with ease in no time!

Overworld Adventure Overworld Adventure

Not bad, not bad.

Things I liked:
+ Piano harmonies are pretty nice.
+ Melodic themes are aplenty here.
+ Bassy bass is bassy :)
+ Progression is certainly present.

Things I didn't like as much:
- The progression is a bit... all over the place. It strays pretty far from what it initially established at the beginning, especially at the end.
- Drums aren't too bad, but they could use some more livening up. Snare is definitely there, but I can barely make out the kick.
- There seems to be a bit of muddiness to the track itself. Mix needs tidying up as a lot of the elements need to be more distinguishable.
- The cymbals have some pretty harsh transients, so you may want to turn them down a tinge.

I dig this, it just needs cleaning up. I can see where you're going with, but it needs a little more coherence. Nonetheless, I say it's nice. Keep on keepin' on!

Im4Hero responds:

Thank you for the super constructive review! That's why a love newgrounds, there's no reason for me to not learn and do better. ^_^

I gotta admit, I should stick more to a theme, it's all over the place. :s

I shall take all of your advices. All of it! ^w^

Calygon Calygon

Smooth. Really smooth.

I'd almost list this as Ambient or Experimental. Or directly under video game.

ANYWAY! This is pretty swank. I'm a sucker for the ethereal and soundscape like tones. The drums are superior-ly thin and fits the theme quite well. The melodies are well done and I must say that the stuttered effects are awesome and complements each and every other element. Could definitely see myself playing a game to this song or even just use it as an easy-listening track.

No complaints on my end. If I spot something, I'll be sure to point it out :) 9/10, 5/5.

1f1n1ty responds:

Thanks for the review! Feedback is appreciated.

I must mention, the entirety of the drums in the section at 0:48 come from a loop in a free sample pack. Almost all of it. The only part that is mine is the delayed percussive sound on 2+4 which can barely be heard since I mixed it pretty poorly lol

So the drums are thin because the loop I chose had them thin. The loop also had all the stuttering effects, so those aren't mine either. I guess I chose a good loop lol

~Fore~ Alaska (WiP) ~Fore~ Alaska (WiP)

Definitely some good stuff here.

The leads are sweet, chords are nice and airy, and the drums really fit the aesthetic extremely well. Mix is pretty spot on. I've got no complaints as it stands! The only thing is... I wonder what it'll sound like post-drop ;)

(Mind doing a R4R?)

Asteroid Asteroid

An interesting composition.

The drum is pretty good. Kick is fairly snappy, snare is punchy (and definitely to my liking). Though, it could use a little more in the high end though. Lacks some of that crackle and brightness (but just a tinge though).

The arping is good, but it's a little too "in your face" at times. I'd consider that more of a background instrument and shown only when necessary, like what you did at around 1:15. Gets in the way of the bell-like melody a lot of the time.

Bassline is grimey, at it's missing is sub-bass. Or more of it, if it's present. I think it's a good idea to think of it in layers with a low, a mid, and a high. Once you get that down, it'll start sounding much fatter and wider.

As far as mix is concerned, it's pretty decent. It just needs some small tweaks here and there for balancing.

Otherwise, pretty good. A nice and happy drumsteppy choon. A good job, I shall say :)

MrSmash64 responds:

Thank you for the review! The reason I toned down the subbass is that it would make the wubs less impactey or whatever

Random Loop 01 Random Loop 01

Funky, you say? I agree. Fairly funky.

Like the drum kit. Pretty snappy and rhythmic. Good emulation of the actual thing. Should change up the beat every now and again, but it works for it's intended purpose.

Synth works is nice. A little more warmth in the sub (for my tastes, anyway) is needed. Lower octave melody is pretty swank. The off-beat squares kind of bothers me a bit. Could be a little better syncopated methinks (again, that's just me). It works, regardless.

Other than that, can't really comment on the mix. It sounds fine to me. Loops well!

A good job, methinks.

-J.P.

How to Destroy Angels - A Drowning (Qvarcos Mix) How to Destroy Angels - A Drowning (Qvarcos Mix)

Very interesting.

Probably the second or third ambient track I've reviewed thus far, and gotta say, this one is pretty good too. It's highly dynamic, ethereal, creepy and eerie. It gives me a bit of the shivers listening back to it, which means you've certainly accomplished your goal.

While the instrumentation is mostly percussive, it is quite complex. That phasing/flanging deal you've got going on really fits with the theme, as does the bitcrushed kick. I will say that the hi-hats are a bit too harsh on the highs there. Could be a little more dulled with EQ or just a decrease in level, probably by about -6 to -12 dB, where it's still audible but not as "in your face." Same goes for some of that filtering.

Pads are pretty sweet; they're soft and unobtrusive. The bell-like leads you have fit well for some nuanced complements. They linger just enough to add to the ambiance.

If you've ever seen an anime called "Trigun," or listened to the OST of it, look out for two tracks: 'Blue Summers' and 'Perfect Night'. They encompass the kind of atmosphere and themes you were trying to achieve here (and maybe they'll help you in the future!) Very gritty and industrial like.

I like, I like. A good job, sir!